Selling or Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor in California

What Is Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor?

California Business and Professions Code section 25658 defines the crime of furnishing or selling alcohol to a minor. There are three ways one can commit this crime.

  1. Selling alcohol to a minor. In California, a minor is somebody under 21 years of age.
  2. Furnishing alcohol to a minor. This means just giving it to them.
  3. When a minor purchases or consumes alcohol.

This law applies both to people who provide alcohol to the minors and the minors who purchase or consume alcohol. A conviction for this crime carries a penalty of up to 6 months in county jail and a possible loss of the operating license.

Most of these cases arise during undercover sting operations at a liquor store where a minor approaches you and asks you to purchase alcohol on their behalf.

These cases can also arise during “operation trapdoor” which targets minors who attempt to use fake or fraudulent ID cards and drivers’ licenses to gain entry into an establishment where alcohol is served. If the establishment recognizes or suspects that it’s a fake ID, then they’re required to summon the police and report it to the police department.

If you or a loved one is charged with a crime, contact Mark Shayani of Pacific Attorney Group. He can provide a free consultation in office or by phone and is available to answer any question you may have.

Tags: ,

Related Posts

Previous Post Next Post